Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day



I've edited this post to keep it on top until
the 14th. Scroll down to see
if I've actually had time to write something *new*.


It's coming, and there's not a darned thing we can do about it.

So ... which side are you on?



I CAN'T GIVE YOU ANYTHING BUT LOVE
Dorothy Fields, Jimmy McHugh
1928

Gee, but it's tough to be broke, kid,
It's not a joke, kid, it's a curse.
My luck is changing, it's gotten
From simply rotten, to something worse.

Who knows, some day I will win, too,
I'll begin to reach my prime.
Now, though, I see what our end is,
All I can spend is my time ...

I can't give you anything but love, baby;
That's the only thing I've plenty of, baby.
Dream a while, scheme a while, you're sure to find
Happiness, and I guess, all those things you've always pined for.

Gee, I'd like to see you lookin' swell, baby;
Diamond bracelets Woolworth doesn't sell, baby.
'Til that lucky day, you know darned well, baby -
I can't give you anything but love.

Ukulele Ike - I Can't Give You Anything But Love

Ella Fitzgerald & Her Orchestra - Taking A Chance On Love

Fats Waller & His Rhythm - Who's Afraid Of Love?

Louis Armstrong & His Orchestra - Lover

Fats Waller & His Rhythm - Believe It, Beloved

Bing Crosby - Like Someone In Love

Count Basie & His Orchestra - Exactly Like You

Benny Goodman & His Orchestra (v. Peggy Lee) - Let's Do It (Let's Fall In Love)

Doris Day - Somebody Loves Me

Jo Stafford & The Paul Weston Orchestra - Blue Moon

Mezz Mezzrow - Everybody Loves My Baby

The Leo Reisman Orchestra - Isn't This A Lovely Day?

Bing Crosby & Jimmy Dorsey - Too Marvelous For Words

Nat "King" Cole - Embraceable You

The Mills Brothers - I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm

Isham Jones & His Orchestra - My Baby Just Cares For Me

Judy Garland - You Made Me Love You



DOWN WITH LOVE
E.Y.'Yip' Harburg, Harold Arlen
1937

You, sons of Adam; you, daughters of Eve,
The time has come to take your love-torn hearts
Off your sleeve.
Look, look about you
What do you see?
Love-sick, love-lorn, love-wrecked, love-worn
Boo-hoo-manity!
There'll be no peace on earth until this curse
Is wiped off from this love-mad universe.
Are we mice or men? Can't you see the light?
Come, you fellow victims, let's unite!

Down with love,
With flowers and rice and shoes;
Down with love,
The root of all midnight blues.

Down with things
That give you that well-known pain;
Take that moon and
Wrap it in cellophane.

Down with love,
Let's liquidate all its friends;
Moons and Junes and roses and
Rainbow's ends.

Down with songs
That moan about night and day;
Down with love,
Yes, take it away, away!

Away, take it away
Give it back to the birds and the bees
And the Viennese.

Down with eyes romantic and stupid
Down with sighs, down with Cupid.
Brother, let's stuff that dove -
Down with love!

Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra - Down With Love

Jane Froman with Al Goodman - Boy! What Love Has Done To Me!

Fred Astaire & The Johnny Green Orchestra - A Fine Romance (A Sarcastic Love Song)

Johnny Long & His Orchestra - No Love, No Nothin'

The Mills Brothers - Loveless Love

Eddie Condon & His Orchestra - When Your Lover Has Gone

Ella Fitzgerald & Her Orchestra - You Don't Know What Love Is

Frank Trumbauer & His Orchestra - Love Ain't Nothin' But The Blues

Artie Shaw & His Orchestra - Easy To Love

Anita O'Day & The Will Bradley Orchestra - What Is This Thing Called Love?

Mary Martin - Most Gentlemen Don't Like Love

Bunny Berigan & His Orchestra - I Can't Get Started

Billie Holiday - Love Me Or Leave Me

Stan Kenton & His Orchestra - Willow, Weep For Me

Fats Waller & His Rhythm - You've Been Taking Lessons In Love

Duke Ellington & His Orchestra - Mood Indigo

Eddie Cantor - Makin' Whoopee


I'll leave it to you to guess which camp I'm in.

3 comments:

Buzz Stephens said...

Speaking of Judy Garland, there is an exciting and popular new group on Yahoo called THE JUDY GARLAND EXPERIENCE. It features amazingly rare audio files, photo's, lively discussions, and more! The membership includes Judy's family members, fans, people who knew her, Garland biographers, filmakers etc. The only thing missing is you! Please stop by and check it out.

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/thejudygarlandexperience/

Trombonology said...

Love your well-chosen musical selections and vintage postcards, as well as Dorothy and Yip's lyrics.

iamfelix said...

But you didn't tell me what side you're on! ;-)